Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Spinning Experiment


At Convergence I bought all of Lisa's Petroglyph BFL fiber but it isn't enough for a cardi which is what I thought I might like to make with it.

I decided I should take this as an opportunity to expand my horizons and experiment a little. I decided I would double my yardage if I plyed it with a solid and it would make the color changes more subtle. The only solids I had are carded fiber and the BFL was a combed fiber. Would the two preps work?

Whenever I have a problem I pose a question to my friends at FT and I get answers! Joanne suggested I make a sample. I did I made a sample of the bfl by itself, with targhee(cream colored), and with dark shetland/icelandic. I really liked the shetland color with the petroglyph and felt that it worked fiberwise too. So I went for it. These are the results. Vicki later told me that Satakeili(sp?) from schoolhouse press is a yarn that is one ply combed fiber on carded. Cool huhn!

I love it:-) Now I have to spin the rest consistently!

7 Comments:

Blogger jenknits said...

I LOVE IT! Sorry for the shouting. It turned out really great!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

elizabeth, that turned out lovely! i am so looking forward to seeing you in august.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Liz M. said...

Love it! I like tweeds anyhew... Did you get Charlottes email about the spin-in? Talk later :)

7:54 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

love it!!!!!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Its really fabulous - and other knitfriends, I got to touch it too! It feels as beautiful as it looks.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I love that yarn too... and I feel famous, being mentioned on your blog! I'm so glad your husband is home right now! Let's hope for peace soon.

2:51 PM  
Blogger heart wisdom said...

hello!

i love yr blog, wonderful work! i want to know if you have any tips or places i can go to learn how to spin... this is my next venture into the craft & you are very inspiring!

pow_meow@yahoo.com

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf