Monday, December 19, 2005

Wonder of wonders




I thought my daughter would never get the itch. Not because she is so old that she probably won't ask anymore, she's only five. I thought this because I love knitting so much that she is jealous of it sometimes. I thought this jealousy would make her resent it. I never asked her if she wanted to try it not wanting to push in the slighest bit. I was completely wrong.

I can't believe what a natural she is. No sweaty gripping. No face twisted in concentration. No impossibly tight stitches. She was whistling while she was knitting! I didn't do this the first time i knit. She's only five. The possiblities. Even though I contemplate the possiblities I still don't push or even ask if she wants to I wait for her to bring her little knitting bag out.

Friday I decided I wanted to knit a felted bag so I did:-) It is the Retro bag out of Galway and Noro. I decided this because I am getting a 4"x4" weavette for Christmas and I want to make a flower to put on it 'a la Spin Off. How do I know? I bought it and wrapped it. That way I get what I want don't you know;-)

This will be the first installment of the sheep breeds spinning critique. I am spotlighting Targhee because it was my favorite. It is soft and spongey and just lucsious. I think it has been my very favorite of anything I have spun so far. It is a short fine wool.

6 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

i love how your daughters legs are curled underneath her. my rebecca learned to knit at 5, but hasn't knit in a long time. it doesn't matter, the knowing is imprinted in her brain ;-)

6:24 AM  
Blogger Liz M. said...

Looks like your spinning that a bit worsted? Don't you just love it though? I (as you saw, am spinning mine very, very think) Loving the softness. I think I'm going to make my neice something from what's left!

4:21 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

I wonder if Emily will want to knit. Maybe next year.

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the picture of your daughter knitting! it amazes me how some kids take to it like ducks to water and others don't like it as much. your felted bag is nice too.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Elisabeth - may I join you on your sheep breeds technique? I have homework to do for my spinning study, but I don't want you to feel like I am jumping on your blog band-wagon :)

3:25 PM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Of course you can Angela! Maybe you will keep up better than I have! I should have done that breed review for the icelandic!I'm looking forward to seeing your beautiful spinning!

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf