Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A Hap


I've had a few questions about the Hap so Im going to share what Sharon Miller wrote in her new book Shetland Hap Shawls. "A Shetland Hap was and is a serviceable warm shawl." She gets more technical later and talked about how haps were originally knit edging first then stitches picked up around the edging and starting with the border knit to center. "...the shawl knitted 'borders inwards' with almost invariably,an Old Shell patterning." You can see them being dressed on the front of the book.

Mine will be a modern version of the originals, modern construction and colors. I knit a diamond shape and picked up around the diamond. I am now knitting the border and then will knit on an edging. Here is a picture of the sack of hap with it's balls of ksh in it. You can kind of get a scope of the size in relation to the ksh balls.














I would say I have about 8-10 more inches to finish:-)

10 Comments:

Blogger Romi said...

Very very pretty! Thanks for the book review. It's tempting! :)

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think that i might have to check that book out!

12:55 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

I can't wait to see that finished!

5:28 AM  
Blogger Liz M. said...

I think this is going to look fantastic! I love the colors, and I think that you will definitely fit in in Israel.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

I'm with Marti, I'm going to have to take a look at this book as soon as it's in at my LYS.

Your shawl is lovely!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Those colors look like Valentine's Day! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

This is my first visit to your site after googling "spinning blogs". Way cool! You do good work.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Jes said...

Wow, that's very cool. Knit edging in, very interesting. It sounds great especially when faced with the 483 sts. I have to knit an edging on. I might have to give this a whirl!

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow--lovely colors! like candy. :)

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of starting a hap too, using stash KSH. How many balls of each color did you use?

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf