Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Blueberry is done



Well I finished blueberry on the weekend and she is blocked dry and sewn, what little was to be done. I changed the pattern quite a bit. I kept the sleeves in the horseshoe lace, made it much longer and did not do any fancy bindoffs. I liked the way the lace curves on the bottom.

I also started some socks for my brother. He is going through a nightmare and I can't help in the least. It made me have this urge to knit him socks. It seems silly and I don't even know if I could actually give them to him now. Considering what he is going through socks seem so trivial but I needed to do something and think of him so socks seeemed like a good idea. These are my version of Nancy Bush's Gentleman's fancy socks in Lisa S's olive tones. This is one of those colorways that touches my soul. I am very weird about color. It really effects me. This color is very introspective and calming to me. It is like a deep dark evergreen forest. Unfortunately you have to see it in person to appreciate the depth in color. I am going to have to do something else in this colorway too.

I have decided to frog the Sally Melville collared sweater, sorry Sally,It just wasn't doing it for me. I will do the Jolie sweater from Vintage Style by Rowan but not before I finish my newest start!

Last year I snagged 8 balls of magpie tweed in a really nice mid grey color from a rotating stash box that my favorite list does(hey fters!). I have been pondering what to do with it. It is so good , one of those things I'd never buy for myself. So it had to be the perfect pattern and I found it. Demi from Vintage knits. http://www.theknittinggarden.com/patterns/ro-vintagestyle/demi.htm. I am so in love with this I got a few rows up and had to frog so I have no progress to show but it will be very easy and quick. Once you set up the pattern(correctly!) it moves very easily. Now that the kids are back in school i won't be able to knit it in two weeks like blueberry but I can tell this one won't be a ufo. Istn't it funny? I usually can tell which ones will be ufos but I still cast on:-)

9 Comments:

Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Thanks Melanie. That is what I thought too, socks are what you put on for comfort.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Blueberry is very cute on you and the socks will mean so much to your brother. As always, my thoughts are with you and your family.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blueberry is gorgeous! I had in my head that it was going to be a half-sweater, rib cage length. I like it both ways!! :-)

I think the socks are a great gift for your brother. Sort of like a comfort shawl for a guy. I know how you feel though, like what difference is it going to make? I made mittens for a friend who lost a child and I felt the same way. I figured it was a way to touch her when I wasn't with her and let her know that I cared. I think socks are perfect.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

E,
Lovely sweater! As far as knitting socks for your brother, we do what we can do, and what we can do is knit our love and prayers into every stitch. Last Christmas, my dearest friend, who has had heart trouble for many years, was given a very frightening diagnosis. I was desolate, and all I could think was, "But he can't die! I haven't knitted him any socks yet!"
I cast on immediately and knit him a pair. He went to a different doctor and got a slightly better diagnosis. He has to be careful and take better care of himself, but he is still alive. He wears his socks often and thanks me for them constantly.
Knit away. My prayers are with you.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that knitting socks for your brother is trivial at all. He will appreciate the thoughtfulness and the prayers that are knit into them. Blueberry looks great!

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eliz, you and your sweater look perfect. And isn't it fun to plan the next project...always makes me not want to finish the last one I'm in such a hurry!

And I agree with what others have said about socks for your bro. Seems like a good way to apply your caring/concern energies. I once received a scarf from my sister (when I lived far away) and she said to 'consider it a hug when you wear it'. That might work for your brother as well.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blueberry looks great. I'm such a sucker for a cardi...and a lace cardi?
Swoon.
Beautiful

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blueberry is gorgeous! adn of course that button is to doe for. As for the socks - I'm a di-hard sock knitter and believe me, socks are one of the most personal and loving gifts you can give someone. And you made them with love, from your heart. So go ahead and give them to him. He's your brother - he'll know.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blueberry looks great! You did a fantastic job!

Sorry I missed you at the last guild meeting. :( Too much to do, too little time. And it's looking iffy for the February meeting, too.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf