Saturday, February 18, 2006

navajo plying




I have been bad and not working on my handspun sweater.

I have tried my hand at Navajo plying though. Idefinitely need more practice but felt pretty comfortable with it after 30 or so yards. This is about 110 yds of worsted. you can see where I missed the boat but also where I got better:-) I definitely like it and want to see what it looks like knit up. I think I want to make a little notions or treasure bag out of it.

I have been working on some old and some new projects. I had two skeins of the louet opal(pearl?-whatever) that was called for in the new Interweave Knits sock pattern. The socks take only one skein, 200 + yds. I couldn't resist! They are so cute and this yarn is very similar to koigu in feel.

I've also been trying to finish the teal socks, Go with the Flow- by Evelyn Clark, from an older last summer I believe, IK. They are very fun to make.I will miss them when I'm finished. I'm that way with a good book,I miss the chatacters when it is over.

My sister in law is getting married in the summer so I'm designing a shawl in pink for her. It's in KSH and triangular beads from Earth Faire. I love their beads!!! They have the coolest beads. I will definitely be buying from them again. When my order came I got little sample packs of different kinds of beads they carry. Very good selling point! I found some beads I can't live without! Wish me luck with this I'm awfully tired of pushing long legnths of beads out of the way:-(

6 Comments:

Blogger Marlene said...

If the beads only come up occasionally, there is a way of putting them on individually, as needed, with a crochet hook. I've done it both ways (long line of prestrung, and individually as needed) and believe me, it is much easier to put them on with a crochet hook (as long as you don't need a bead really often).

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful colors in your Navajo plying!

3:17 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

you are more brave than i in the navaho plying! your shawl will be lovely :-)

4:36 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Wow, you are so productive! It all looks great...I hear you on the bead attraction, although I am not so excited about bead knitting yet. Give me time. Also, I must commend you on your good photo technique..now we both have photos on our blogs that include a knitted sock and a dog foot! Why are dogs so attracted to these sock photos? We're so cool to have sock loving dogs. :)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Can't wait to see how your Navajo plyed handspun knits up. And, the shawl too. What shape is it going to be--rectangle, triangle, square, circle? Lucky SIL to have an Elizabeth original!

1:55 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Lots of nice looking stuff! I'm ready to try navajo plying again, the one time I did it, I floundered for a few minutes then suddenly it made sense. It looks like you didn't overply, either, which can be a big problem with navajo plying.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Spinning Wheel
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random Powered by RingSurf